Commercial Aeronautical Zone (CAZ)
El Paso County, the City of Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) and the State of Colorado are dedicated to attracting local businesses and helping them thrive at the Colorado Springs Airport. Through the Commercial Aeronautical Zone (CAZ), Aviation Development Zone (ADZ), Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) and the Enterprise Zone (EZ), businesses can benefit from numerous tax savings.
By resolution adopted by the Board of County Commissioners, the sales tax from El Paso County is rebated for businesses specifically engaged in a variety of aeronautical activities.
Exempt from sales tax are:
- The sale, purchase, lease, rental, use, storage, distribution or consumption of any aircraft, aircraft parts or supplies, equipment, tooling, solvents and/or paints used or consumed in the manufacture, maintenance, repair or overhaul of aircraft within the commercial aeronautical zone.
- Purchase of lease equipment directly and exclusively used or consumed in the manufacture, maintenance, repair or overhaul of aircraft within the commercial aeronautical zone.
- Annually, El Paso County will provide a credit back to eligible businesses within the CAZ for the county’s 1% general sales tax collected on the same items covered by the City’s exemption of 2.5%.
How to apply for CAZ status:
- Complete the El Paso County Business Enhancement Program Agreement (BEPA) and turn in with a copy of your City of Colorado Springs Certificate of Exemption.
- Contact DeAnne McCann, Economic Development Manager at (719) 520-6481 or at DeAnneMcCann@elpasoco.com
- Resubmittal of BEPA must be done yearly to receive the credit
More information on the Commercial Aeronautical Zone (CAZ) and other incentives to business: FlyCOS.com