Skip to main contentCounty Home|ADA|Roads|News Releases|Organizational Chart|Index of Services|Volunteer Boards|About El Paso County|Contact Us
Header Banner
Planning & Community Development

Planning & Community Development
frequently asked questions

Zoning - What may I do on my land?
  • How may I find out what Zone District I'm in and what I can do in that district.

     A Zone District is a label placed upon property to determine what development standards apply in particular areas or on a specific parcel of land.  You may use the El Paso County Assessor's Real Estate Parcel Search to find which Zone District your property, or any other property in El Paso County, is zoned.

     To find out what is allowed in a particular Zone District click on the Zoning Principal Use TableZoning Accessory Use Table.

  • May I build a second home or a home for a parent or relative on my property?

      The Land Development Code, as a general rule, does not allow 2 homes on a parcel of land that is smaller than 35 acres.  However, in some circumstances other dwelling types may be allowed.  One example is a Guest House.   The LDC defines a Guest House as "Lodging attached to the principal dwelling or located within a garage or accessory structure which may be occupied only by occasional, non-paying guests or visitors of the family residing in the principal dwelling.  A guest is not considered a dwelling unit.  Extended family housing is a form of guest house utilized on a non-permanent basis to house immediate family members that require housing due to age, disability, or family need.  A family member shall be related by blood, half blood or at law, and which term "at law" also incoudes in-law relationships arising from a deceased of former spouse."

        A Mother-in-Law Apartment is defined as "supplemental living quarters, including a kitchen, that is attached to or part of the main dwelling unit, used exclusively by family members or an employee of a person residing in the main dwelling, and otherwise not rented or leased.  A Mother-in-Law apartment is not considered a dwelling unit.

         Please see Chapter 5 of the Land Development Code for further explanations.

  • May I run a business from my home?

        Depending upon the kind of business and your zone district, you may be able to obtain a Home Occupation Certificate from the Development Services Department.  

Land Use Forms.

 Land Development Code - Home Occupations