Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs
CHAMPVA is a healthcare benefits program for:
- Dependents of veterans who have been rated by VA as having a total and permanent disability,
- Survivors of veterans who died from VA-rated service-connected conditions, or who at the time of death, were rated permanently and totally disabled from a VA-rated service-connected condition; and
- Survivors of persons who died in the line of duty and not due to misconduct who are not otherwise entitled to DOD Tricare benefits. Under CHAMPVA, VA shares the cost of covered healthcare services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries.
The administration of CHAMPVA is centralized to the Health Administration Center in Denver, Colorado.
Due to the similarity between CHAMPVA and TRICARE (formally known as CHAMPUS--a program administered by the Department of Defense for military retirees as well as families of active duty, retired, and deceased service members), the two programs are easily and often mistaken for each other. Please note that CHAMPVA is separate from TRICARE and that there are distinct differences between them.
How to Learn More About CHAMPVA Before Your Card Arrives
If you have access to the internet, you can read more about CHAMPVA by checking out the Fact Sheets on their web site.
Communicating with the CHAMPVA
CHAMPVA is managed by the VA's Health Administration Center.
- You can call them at 800-733-8387, Monday through Friday from 8:15 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Time.
- You can e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mail is the best way to communicate with them if you have this capability.
- You can also fax them at 1-303-331-7804. PLEASE do NOT fax applications to this number.
Assistance and Claims Address
If you have a general question (other than one regarding an application) an appeal or if you need to file a claim for reimbursement for health care and the claim is older than one year, please send your request to:
VA Health Administration Center
PO Box 65023
Denver CO 80206-9023
For submitting new (less than one year old) health care claims only, please use:
VA Health Administration Center
PO Box 65024
Denver CO 80206-9024
In general, CHAMPVA covers most healthcare services and supplies that are medically and psychologically necessary. Upon confirmation of eligibility, applicants will receive program material that specifically addresses covered and non-covered services and supplies.
Return to top
- Services determined by VA to be medically unnecessary
- Care as part of a grant, study, or research program
- Care considered experimental or investigational
- Care for persons eligible for benefits under other government agency programs, except Medicaid and State Victims of Crime Compensation programs
- Care for which the beneficiary is not obligated to pay, such as services obtained at a health fair
- Care provided outside the scope of the provider's license or certification
- Custodial, domiciliary, or rest cures
- Dental care except treatment related to certain covered medical conditions
- Medications that do not require a prescription (insulin excluded)
- Personal comfort and convenience items
- Services rendered by providers suspended or sanctioned by other Federal entities